Re: [gtk-list] Re: Whoo Hoo!

Eric Hegstrom wrote:

> While Eric Harlow's book is a good introduction, I think of it as
> analagous gateway drug. Great fun to start with, but quickly it becomes
> not enough.

I can see that as well. However I think it's an excellent step towards
making Linux a little less obscure to the general person or programmer.
Part of marketing has always been "don't bash the potential customer
with the full potential at the start". Give them something that's
slightly familiar, that they'll understand and want to use.

Far too many linux documents simply dump one into techno jargon whizz
bang land. Of course, this is if you can manage to find it in one of:
/usr/man, /usr/info, /usr/doc, /usr/doc/HOWTO [3 subdirectories of
this], /usr/doc/FAQ [3 subdirectories at least of this], mirror all of
the /usr for /usr/local. Pretend you know nothing about networking and
you want to work out how to do a reverse dns (i.e. get www.senet.com.au
out of 203.11.90.1); difficult to find through all the docs and I got
called an idiot straight after asking the question on the OzNet #linux
channel AND I got banned for pointing out that that was rude!

> The coverage is spotty and within days you will either have
> given up on Gtk+ or be digging through the docs available at gtk.org.

It's enough to get one started. I'm not terribly interested in the
details/intricacies and such to be put in a book.If I wanted to do that
I'd dig the source and/or the internet. You can't exactly say that it
would be terribly efficient to take a sample app (such as the gnotepad+)
program and decode how to program gtk+ from that? Much easier to have a
simple, easy to understand book/tutorial and THEN you'll get much more
out of the source....

> Then you will have to move on to harder stuff. You friends will consider
> intervention as an option when you can no longer communicate in English
> cause you have got so deep into the source.

My friends already think I'm weird anyway!

DL