Re: [gtk-list] Re: Gtk+ Commercial Applications (Licencing Issues)

"Robert G. Brown" wrote:
> http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/copyleft.html

That's all clear to me, but the initial question was: is linking a
proprietary program to a GPLed library a "derived work" or is it not? In
former times I was pretty sure that it is, but I remember a long
discussion where everybody told me that it is common interpretation of
the GPL that just linking is _not_ a derived work. Otherwise every
program that uses kernel functions (which are under the GPL) would have
to be open sourced and no commercial software would be possible on Linux
systems.

Robert
  Robert Schwebel, Luedemannstrasse 25, 24114 Kiel, Germany
    Public Observatory Rothwesten  (near Kassel, Germany)
      Phone: +49-431-6794138, email: robert@schwebel.de