Versioning question

I'm developing an application to be distributed in binary form that links
statically to GTK+ so I won't have to worry about what version the client
is running (of course at the expense of binary size).

A quick question:  as of today, 11/29/99, what is the absolute newest
stable release that I should link to?  I am thinking that it is 1.2.6, but
I'm not sure of the relative plusses/minuses between the different
patchlevels within 1.2.  I'm fairly sure that if I want stability I
probably shouldn't venture into 1.3 but if I'm wrong about this please
correct me.  I'm using fairly stock widgets, (that is, windows, buttons,
alignments, radio buttons, file selection, notebook) and not using many of
the more obscure features of the widgets.

With respect to memory footprint, stability, and size (for when it's
linked statically) which is the best version to link to?  I'm assuming
that I'll need to use the twin glib (i.e. glib-1.2.6 for gtk+-1.2.6 and so
on) but if I'm wrong about that, correct me please.

Is there a mailing list that I should subscribe to to get more info on any
architectural changes that may have happened, large additions, and so on?

Any advice would be appreciated.

David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/ Software Development
Der Horizont vieler Menschen ist ein Kreis mit Radius Null -- und das
nennen sie ihren Standpunkt.