Re: [gtk-list] Re: ANNOUNCE: Glade 0.5.5 available

Anders Melchiorsen wrote:

> Damon Chaplin <damon@karuna.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Glade 0.5.5 is available at http://glade.pn.org
>
> >  o Added back the 'Data' & 'Object' fields on the 'Signals' page, though I
> >    still think people shouldn't use these.
>
> Why? Or rather, what is the better alternative that you imply?
>
> I use the data field to pass a "this" pointer to the call-back
> functions since my main program is C++ but I do not use Gtk--[1].
>
> If there is a better way to achieve this, I would like to know it.

How do you pass the "this" pointer into the function that creates the windows?
As a global variable?

I think using gtk_object_set_data() or the related functions to attach data to
the toplevel window is cleaner. You then retrieve it with gtk_object_get_data()
in the signal handlers.

Damon