configure_event_release...?

  Is there a way to detect when a user has resized a drawing area (when
he's resized the window) and then - released his mouse button?

  The reason I ask is because I have big fat graphics that take almost a
second to refresh; I want to wait till the user has finished resizing and
has let go of the mouse before I even start to redraw the image.

  (You can imagine the redraw speed of a mini-GIS.)
  Thanks,
  John