installing Gtk-Perl - what's the secret..

Compiled gimp 1.1.11 and got error:
In file included from Lib.xs:21:
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux/PDL/Core/pdlcore.h:4:
ppport.h: No such file or directory

Previously i had installed Gtk-Perl-0.5121 the following way
perl Makefile.PL
make test
make install

"make test" made a whole LOT of files - of which most never installed,
however. No real error messages relating to this. When i looked,
ppport.h and most others was still in various Gtk-Perl subdirs where i
ran "make test" - and nowhere else to be found. The README states that
Makefile.PL gives options of different types of install, but i can't see
it relates to it's own files - only linking to other libraries.

I can't believe i'm supposed to copy the required files by hand to some
site_perl subdir (and since i'm a Newbie it would have to be more or
less at random) - so the Q is:

How am i supposed to make it install in such a manner that it actually
copies the files it's made to the relevant perl directory? Or isn't
ppport.h supposed to go anywhere at all (if so - why and where does gimp
really look for it...)

For now I've made gimp with --disable-perl but that limits
functionality.

Thankful for help - I've been compiling for two days now on a P120 so
it's beginning to hurt. I *have* tried to find gimp user-FAQ,
developer-FAQ etc, but those sites seem long gone. Even the bugsite
refuse to list.

Kristin,
Oslo - Norway.