Controlling menus from code

I'm working on adding menu traversal to gvoice, which requires that I be
able to show menus and select items from the voice-control callbacks.
I've managed to get menus to show up by sending them the "select" signal,
and items to do stuff by sending them "activate", but I can't get them to
go away when I'm done (they end up in a wierd state where it's even hard
to get them to go away with the mouse).

I'd like to be able send a single signal to a gtkmenuitem and have it do
the right thing, as if it were clicked with the mouse.  Is this already
possible, and if so how? If not, can it be added reasonably easily?

TIA,
   Omega

         Erik Walthinsen <omega@cse.ogi.edu> - Staff Programmer @ OGI
        Quasar project - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/quasar/
   Video4Linux Two drivers and stuff - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~omega/v4l2/
        __
       /  \             SEUL: Simple End-User Linux - http://www.seul.org/
      |    | M E G A           Helping Linux become THE choice
      _\  /_                          for the home or office user