Re: [gtk-list] Re: java language bindings for gtk+

"Jeffrey M. Birnbaum" wrote:

> thanks, but i am only interested in a non-swing and non-awt solution.
> /JMB
>
> At 08:54 AM 5/27/1999 -0400, Tom Jenkins wrote:
> >I believe the Classpath project is working on GTK+ peer implementation.
> >Check out http://www.classpath.org
> >
> >> does anyone know the current status of the java-gnome project, i.e. the one
> >> discussed at  "http://www.lirmm.fr/~gutkneco/devpt/javagnome.html"?
> >>
> >> it appears that this effort is dead, i.e. i have seen no activity since feb
> >> and the
> >> main author does not reply to email. can anyone confirm or deny this
> >> assertion.
> >>
> >> i am quite interested in a non-swing, non-awt gui for java that will run on
> >> both
> >> unix and win32. if the effort is indeed dead, is anyone out there
> >> interested in
> >> proceeding with the work or is anyone interested in using this language
> >> binding?

I fail to see what you're looking for here...

You want to work on a language binding to a GUI framework but not within that
language's _multi-platform_standard_ GUI framework?!

Why reinvent the wheel?

Or maybe I'm mistaken...

Non-AWT is a great way to go because who wants all the messy peer business? (take
a look at pre-swing implementations on a win32 platform and you can get a feel for
how nasty the whole peer system within AWT is)
But why forsake swing?  It uses minimal AWT (the only peer I know of is the main
container, i.e. window, frame, dialog).

But maybe the whole swing API just isn't palatable to you? (Mind you I am making
educated guesses/assumptions here.)  So is what you want to do basically yet
another GUI API for java that happens to utilize GTK?  If so you're _still_ gonna
have to use at least one peer class of AWT (mentioned above) so it wouldn't really
be a non-AWT implentation now would it?

BTW, I'm not intentionally inflamatory here...I'm just completely, well near,
clueless as to what you are asking for and I am trying to clarify my speculations
as to what you may be after so that others who may have been clueless like me yet
in "the know" could possibly help out.