Re: [gtk-list] Re: ANNOUNCE: GtkMozilla 0.1 released

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 1999, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > Ever wanted to use html pages in your app?
> > Show your help-pages in a fancy way?
> >
> > Now it's all possible. GtkMozilla is a widget that makes it easy
> > to embedd the layout engine from the Mozilla project in any Gtk+
> > program.
> >

> Cool!
>
> We (we = the Gnome Workshop project and the Gnome project, I think) would
> really like to get this going with the Bonobo object embedding framework,
> in addition to a widget. This has the following advantages:
>
>  - an NPL widget can't be linked with any of the GPL apps, so
>    it does not do us much good. both Netscape and the FSF have
>    lawyers, so this is a real issue.
>
>  - Lots of embedded Bonobo objects can be provided by the same Mozilla
>    process; so any per-instance RAM and startup time is saved.
>
>  - People can plug alternative browser components into apps;
>    and we don't have library versioning problems.
>
> Since you've written the widget, you will probably be able to do the
> Bonobo thing in about a day or two, plus or minus some learning curve.
> It's really very easy; look at guppi2/src/component/ in CVS, or the test
> program in the 'bonobo' module. Basically the Bonobo stuff takes a widget
> (which you've written) and exports it for embedding. It's a wrapper around
> your widget, basically.

 I haven't worked with the gnome libraries, but i will take a look at it.

> The slightly harder part is designing an IDL interface for a "browser,"
> then exporting it (though Mozilla may already have such an interface?).

There is an interface, but it's quite minimalistic, and changing now and
then...

> Check out our screenshot at http://www.gnome.org/gw.html. I hope you'll
> consider working on this; it's hard for those of us with no knowledge of
> Mozilla to get started on.

I might work with it, if i find the time between work, Dia and
GtkMozilla.

I can understand people who feel intimidated by the size of the Mozilla
codebase. I've worked with it some time now, and I'm still completely lost
in it :)

GtkMozilla is going in the Mozilla CVS tree btw.

/ Alex