Proper way to set GtkTree items.

Hello.

I'm fairly new to using the Gtk+ and I need to set rows in a GtkTree
before the user gets a chance to select/deselect items from the tree.
I'm having a very difficult time using

    gtk_tree_select_item( GTK_TREE( subtree ), i );

which continuously SEGVs.  Is there a proper way to set the tree items
in a GtkTree?  Examples would be very nice.

I have/continue to search through the archives of this mailing list, but
so far, I haven't found anything.  Also, is there a search engine set up
somewhere to access the mailing list archives?

Many thanks.

Pete
Pete Willemsen        Department of Comp. Sci.
willemsn@cs.uiowa.edu       University of Iowa