Gtk-- please help understand testgtk--,testgtkmm

Hi,
I have a look to testgtk-- and testgtkmm
the sample programs for Gtk--..

In testgtk-- there a using of static functions
and each derived class have a (static*) pointer to
itself, there also is a Signal-Processing
Classes and there "Childs" are correspondate(I assume)
but I didnt really understand this :-(
there is
class TestFixture:public Gtk_Window {
public:
 Signal1 <TextFixture*> finished;
private:
};
and all derived classes have a statically method
create(..)
in testgtkmm there are a different way to add
childrens
no static, no list, feels, for me, more "naturally".
there also a event-concept here, I don't really
figured out yet, or understand it :-(

Is there a common method to create Gtk-- Apps and
can testgtk-- or testgtkmm be a guideline to ?
which should I have to preffer ?
-- I'm absolute new with Gtk--  --

Thanks for help
  Peter