Scrolling a CList

I am using GTK+-1.2.0 and GTK-- 1.0.0.

I am trying to put a CList into a scrolling window as the tutorial says
(and as an email from the archive said as well).  However, when I try to
use moveto(), it doesn't move the scroll bar.  So I read about Adjustments
and set the adjustments for the clist to the same as for the scrolled
window.  moveto() then scrolls the window, but it scrolls it too far,
adding a black section to the bottom (of exactly the same height as the
necessary scroll distance).  I assume that this is caused by each of the
widgets trying to rescale the adjustment.  What is the appropriate way to
do this to avoid the blacking out problem at the bottom and still have
scrolling?

Thanks in advance
Mike Lindahl
mlindahl@princeton.edu