Re: [gtk-list] Unidentified subject!

On Sun, 05 May 2024 23:11:52 +0100 (WET), gtk-list@redhat.com (Rui Carlos Simoes - LEM) wrote:
               ^^^^
Please set your computer's time to a correct value!

> i'm having a bed time to install gtk+1.2.2
> to begin with it takes to long to build and install, but thats 486 foult.
> the problem is:
> 1st i installeed glib1.2.2, with configure, make ,make install
> 2nd i installed gtk+1.2.2 the same way
> but then when i try to compile same thing it says it can not
> i heard redhat52 already has gtk/glib installed

Correct.

> how do i uninstall them if any.

I'm sorry, I don't know because I don't use RedHat. "man rpm" will help
you.

> where should i place glib and gtk
> i placed them in /usr/gtk and /usr/glib, is this ok?

No, unless you really know what you're doing. You should put the libraries
in /usr or /usr/local. /usr/local is the better choice, because in that
way it will not interfere with RedHat's package management.
Note: I'm speaking about the compiled libraries, not about the source! You
can put the source whereever you want.

> do i have to tell the compiler where shoul it find the libs??

No. If you install it in /usr/local it will find it as long as
/usr/local/bin is in your path.

> is there any compiled gtk and glib versions in the internet?

If I am correct, there is a link to GTK 1.2 RPMs on the GNOME webpages:
http://www.gnome.org/ .

> please explain the steps i must do to get gtk running properly, as if you
> were explaining it to a 2 year old boy.

Get the RPMs and install it using rpm (read the rpm manpage), or if you
want to compile it yourself, here are instructions to get it in /usr/local:

  tar zxvf glib-1.2.2.tar.gz
  cd glib-1.2.2
  ./configure --enable-threads
  make