waiting on a semaphor

     I have a curses application running on Linux that I would like to
support in both curses and gtk.  This application displays messages for
other processes.  The other processes pass the messages to the display
application through shared memory using semaphores.  Normally the
display application is waiting on a semaphore to be incremented.

     Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that because there is
no file descriptor associated with the semaphore, and therefore a
callback routine cannot be used, the display has to be handled outside
of gtk_main.   I should point out that the application does not have to
respond to any user input.  It only needs to display what it is given.

     I have tried replacing gtk_main with gtk_main_iteration().
However, after about 15 seconds, the application hangs.  It can be
restarted by moving the mouse into or out of the window.

     Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Bill
--
Bill Smith wsmith@gi.com 215-323-2074
There are 2 Bill Smith's working at GI.