Re: [gtk-list] problem in configuring GLIB

On Mon, 03 May 1999 12:06:13 +0200 (MET DST), gtk-list@redhat.com (Matthias Fichtner) wrote:
> I have a problem while configuring glib-1.2.2 on a MIPS ULTRIX V4.3A (Rev. 146)
> System. The output of the configure -script follows :
>

> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> checking for working aclocal... missing
> checking for working autoconf... found
> checking for working automake... missing
> checking for working autoheader... found
> checking for working makeinfo... found
> checking host system type... mips-dec-ultrix4.3
> checking build system type... mips-dec-ultrix4.3
> checking for ranlib... ranlib
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
> checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
> checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
> checking for ld used by GCC...
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/mips-dec-ultrix4.3/2.8.1/ld
> checking if the linker (/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/mips-dec-ultrix4.3/2.8.1/ld)
> is GNU ld... no

Strange, this should be GNU ld, otherwise it would have taken /usr/bin/ld
(or wherever ld lives on an Ultrix systems). Or
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/mips-dec-ultrix4.3/2.8.1/ld is a softlink to the
real ld.

> [...]
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) is a cross-compiler... no
> checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
> checking whether gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
> checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> checking for extra flags to get ANSI library prototypes... none needed
> checking for extra flags for POSIX compliance... none needed
> checking for vprintf... yes
> checking for atexit... yes
> checking for on_exit... no
> checking size of char... 1
> checking size of short... 2
> checking size of long... 4
> checking size of int... 4
> checking size of void *... 4
> checking size of long long... 8
> checking for working const... yes
> checking for __inline... yes
> checking for __inline__... yes
> checking for inline... yes
> checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
> checking for float.h... yes
> checking for limits.h... yes
> checking for pwd.h... yes
> checking for sys/param.h... yes
> checking for sys/poll.h... no
> checking for sys/select.h... no
> checking for sys/time.h... yes
> checking for sys/times.h... yes
> checking for unistd.h... yes
> checking for values.h... yes
> checking for lstat... yes
> checking for strerror... yes
> checking for strsignal... no
> checking for memmove... yes
> checking for vsnprintf... no
> checking for strcasecmp... yes
> checking for strncasecmp... yes
> checking for poll... no
> checking for sys_errlist... yes
> checking for sys_siglist... yes
> checking for sys_siglist declaration... no
> checking for fd_set... yes, found in sys/types.h
> checking for wchar.h... no
> checking for wctype.h... no
> checking for iswalnum... no
> checking for iswalnum in -lw... no
> checking if iswalnum() and friends are properly defined... yes
> checking whether realloc (NULL,) will work... yes
> checking for an implementation of va_copy()... no
> checking for an implementation of __va_copy()... yes
> checking whether va_lists can be copied by value... yes
> checking for dlopen... no
> checking for dlopen in -ldl... no
> checking how to export all symbols... none
> checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
> checking for pthread.h... no
> checking for PRP_NewNakedCondVar in -lnspr21... no
> checking for thread implementation... none available
> configure: warning: You do not have any known thread system on your
>                 computer. glib will not be thread safe on your computer.
> checking necessary linker options...
> configure: warning: the 'g_get_(user_name|real_name|home_dir|tmp_dir)'
>                 functions will not be MT-safe during their first call
> because
>                 there is no working 'getpwuid_r' on your system.
> configure: warning: the 'g_date_set_time' function will not be MT-safe
>                 because there is no 'localtime_r' on your system.

This shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't use multi-threading
applications.

> checking system definitions for POLLIN POLLOUT POLLPRI POLLERR POLLHUP
> POLLNVAL... failed

Don't know about this.

> updating cache ./config.cache
> creating ./config.status
> creating glib.spec
> creating glibconfig.h.win32
> creating Makefile
> creating glib-config
> creating gmodule/gmoduleconf.h
> creating gmodule/Makefile
> creating gthread/Makefile
> creating docs/Makefile
> creating docs/glib-config.1
> creating tests/Makefile
> creating config.h
> /bin/sh: bad substitution
> Exit 1

This can be a problem with a broken shell. I remember vaguely something
about broken shells from the GNU make manual. Edit the first line of the
configure script and let it use bash: change "/bin/sh" in "/bin/bash" (or
wherever bash lives on your system).

> Does anybody has experienced a similar failure under ULTRIX ?
> Do you have any suggestions ? I don't have one.

Sorry, I don't have real experience with ULTRIX, try my suggestions.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl