Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK window manager...

   On 2 May 1999 tibbs@hpc.uh.edu wrote:
   > It's not a hack; it's our development CVS tree.  I think it's pretty much

I suspect the precise meaning of the term ``hack'' (and especially
whether it is pejorative or a compliment) varies not just from
language to language and generation to generation, but even university
to university.

Where I went to school, and at the time, hearing somebody say ``ooh,
great hack!  Great hack!''  would not be uncommon.  Where I am now, a
hack is by definition bad programming.  And most of the youngsters
around me wouldn't even recognize the term in any context other than
hacking in to a site.
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002