Re: GTK window manager...

HP> I would suggest: start with FVWM2, remove all cruft that duplicates
HP> Gnome functionality,

I'm not sure what functionality that would be; perhaps the support for root
menus.  If you're thinking of the pager, that's an external module.  And
menus themselves are pretty close to being implementable with external
modules, although for obvious performance reasons the builtin functionality
will be around for a long time.  There is already a module in development
that uses Gtk to draw menus.

If someone seriously wants to use Gtk for the window decorations, come to
fvwm-workers (@fvwm.org) and ask about it.  There have been rumblings in
the past about making decorations implementable via external modules; it
may not be all that hard do do.

HP> At least, I remember a post about a hacked FVWM designed to be the
HP> "Gnome WM."

It's not a hack; it's our development CVS tree.  I think it's pretty much
as Gnome-compliant as anything else.  We're thinking of cutting FVWM 2.4 in
the near term just to get the Gnome support into everyone's hands.
--
Jason L Tibbitts III - tibbs@uh.edu - 713/743-3486 - 660PGH - 94 PC800
   System Manager:  University of Houston Department of Mathematics