specialized timeout

I'm attempting to create a function which will pause for some given amount
of time, or until some event is received (like the user pressing a key).
The use for this is doing parenthesis matching ala emacs where you pause up
to a second unless a key is pressed.  Since the text widget needs to have its
point moved back to the end paren that was just entered before inserting any
more keys, I need this timeout function to run outside of the gtk_main()
loop.  Can anyone suggest a strategy?

Thanks,
me