Userdefined list in gtk_spin_button ?

Hi team,
is it possible to run gtk_spin_button with a userdefined list instead of a
simple numeric range ?
Example: I was able to create a spin_button with a range from lets say
0 to 19.   I was also able to create a gtk_combo with a userdefined list
of characterstrings. However, these appear as popdown strings, from
which one can be selected.  For larger lists I would prefer the way
how gtk_spin_button works, but couldn't find out how to do that.
  If this is not possible, what is another good way with GTK to let a user
select a specific string out of a large number of characterstrings ?
Thanks for any recommendations, Herbert