Moving to GTK

I'm writing some image processing algorithms and I'm interested in
using GTK to get a nice user interface but I'm not sure about how to
do it (I'm currently using a command line interface).

My main concern is whether I should convert the types I'm using in my
existing code to GTK's types - I'd really like to just use my existing
libraries. I also use OO C++ so I don't want to use glib's memory
management functions - is there anything wrong with doing this?

I'm also wondering whether anyone else has done anything like this.

If anyone want's to know what I'm working on, this is my project web
page:

http://murray.newcastle.edu.au/users/students/malcolm/

Or I can write a description.

Malcolm