Newbie Install Problems

Sorry to bother you folks but...

I've unpacked the gtk and glib 1.2.1 tar.gz files and followed the
instructions in INSTALL. glib make and make install appeared to go ok. gtk
make was ok but the make install bombed out with the following:

libtool: link: '/usr/local/src/glib/gmodule.la' is not a valid libtool
archive'
make[1]: *** [testgtk] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/gtk/gtk'
make: ***[install-recursive] Error 1

I tried, just in case, to make the helloworld sample which failed with
hundreds of errors.

The only thing I've done differently from the INSTALL instructions is to
copy all the files from ../glib_1.2.1 to ../glib and ../gtk_1.2.1 to ../gtk.

What have I done wrong?

Martin