Re: [gtk-list] Re: Unable to create perl Gtk-0.5000

Michael Tomuschat <michael@knoto.tuebingen.com> writes:
> I'm afraid I won't be able to do this with the CPAN name (it would be
> fairly pointless for everything in the Perl Archive to have "perl" in the
> name). I do try to refer to the package as Perl/Gtk in general
> conversation.

You can specify a 'NAME' in your Makefile.PL that is different from the
name of the directory that contains your development code.  This would
allow you to maintain (and share) a CVS module called "gtk-perl", but to
continue conveniently using "Gtk" as the CPAN name.

One of the automatic features of a well-formed Makefile.PL (+ MANIFEST) is
that you can perform "make dist", which packages everything listed in your
MANIFEST into an archive named by the NAME and VERSION (or VERSION_FROM)
specified in your Makefile.PL.

For example, in the scenario I describe, "gtk-perl/Makefile.PL" will
contain something like:

  WriteMakefile(
    'NAME'   => 'Gtk',
  );

So, we should eventually be able to do the following:

 cvs co gtk-perl
 cd gtk-perl
 perl Makefile.PL
 make dist
 ls -l Gtk-0.5120.tar.gz

(Is there a good way to have autogen.sh build Makefile's from Makefile.PL
using normal autoconf/automake parameters (e.g. --prefix)?)

Of course, we are left to ponder what this archive should be called when it
is not found on CPAN, nor when it is not acquired or otherwise produced
from a CVS-derived code base.

james