Re: [gtk-list] Re: Why not usenet?

James Macnicol wrote:

> > Speaking as someone with diskquotas on a multiuser system I
> > can see where having a new server connection would be beter
> > considering the volume of mail on this list.  Is it
> > possible to have everything from the list posted to a
> > news group and responses posted directly to the news to
> > be echoed back to the maillist?  I would actually get
> > more things read if I didn't constantly have to through
> > piles of mail away to make room for more piles of mail from
> > this group.  ;-)
>
>         This is fine except that all the spam that gets posted to the
> newsgroup would be then gatewayed to the mailing list, which would really
> suck.  Spam control is one of the very nice features of these mailing
> lists since you need to be subscribed in order to send messages.
>
>         BTW, I don't think incoming e-mail is counted in your disk
> quota on many systems (?).  It's only an issue if you save those
> messages to files in your home directory.  (Someone can privately
> correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> James

I think a comp.programming.lang.gtk (or whatever the correct hierarchy
should be) would be a worthwhile endevor, and spam really isn't *that*
big a problem outside the alt.* hierarchy. Giving a quasi-moderator
cancel powers would also help to quell whatever tiny tide there is (on
the netscape.public.mozilla.* groups, the only problem is tech support
for v.4.x, and this isn't an issue with GTK).

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "All animals are equal, some animals
     are more equal than others."