Re: [gtk-list] Re: Why not usenet?

> > Speaking as someone with diskquotas on a multiuser system I
> > can see where having a new server connection would be beter
> > considering the volume of mail on this list.  Is it
> > possible to have everything from the list posted to a
> > news group and responses posted directly to the news to
> > be echoed back to the maillist?  I would actually get
> > more things read if I didn't constantly have to through
> > piles of mail away to make room for more piles of mail from
> > this group.  ;-)
>
> 	This is fine except that all the spam that gets posted to the
> newsgroup would be then gatewayed to the mailing list, which would really
> suck.  Spam control is one of the very nice features of these mailing
> lists since you need to be subscribed in order to send messages.

No, we could gate the mail back through a sublist of the subscription list.
Then posters to the usenet group would receive a message indicating
they must join the discussion group to get their mails forwarded to
the entire list.  That would stop spammers from flooding your mail box
with spam.

Alternatively, the maillist could be moderated with all the posters
being checked against a list to prevent spammers from posting.
But that of course involves moderators to weed out posts that
are just from newbees.   Havinga free-for-all on th news site with
forwarding over only those on a subscriber list would be better.

> 	BTW, I don't think incoming e-mail is counted in your disk
> quota on many systems (?).  It's only an issue if you save those
> messages to files in your home directory.  (Someone can privately
> correct me if I'm wrong).

My system dumps incoming mail into the home directory on delivery.
The other system on campus has a hard limit on mail queued in
the system mailbox.  So neither avoids the quota problem.
As for how common these configurations are I couldn't say.

--Karl