Re: [gtk-list] Re: how can I trust glib when it has somanymemleaks?

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> The GMemChunk (which is what we're talking about) only stores pools of
> equal-sized memory chunks. So you can't get unusable holes in the memory.
> It's impossible on-face.

The same way it's impossible to get memory leaks when you by design never
free anything? ;-)

Areas of memory that are set aside for a rainy day but not used are by
definition unusable holes.

> Look, the glib authors are smart guys. It is stupid to go on about how
> glib may or may not have some random design flaw when you haven't even
> read the code and figured out how it works. At least do some profiling
> on your own.

I have read the code. What strikes me as "stupid", no offense intended, is
to go on about how somebody is a smart guy and doesn't make mistakes.

Unless the design has been profiled or is at least supported by some form
of calculation, it is indeed "random".

Ulric