Re: [gtk-list] Re: how can I trust glib when it has somanymemleaks?

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Ulric Eriksson wrote:

> My guess is that any program that also does anything useful spends
> insignificant time on memory allocation. The argument that glib can do a
> better job of keeping the memory localized holds more weight. Some actual
> figures would be nice to see for that as well. Also, one cannot help but
> think that glib's strategy may just as well result in memory being
> localized WRT the OS but fragmented within glib itself.

The GMemChunk (which is what we're talking about) only stores pools of
equal-sized memory chunks. So you can't get unusable holes in the memory.
It's impossible on-face.

Look, the glib authors are smart guys. It is stupid to go on about how
glib may or may not have some random design flaw when you haven't even
read the code and figured out how it works. At least do some profiling
on your own.

Havoc