Re: [gtk-list] Re: how can I trust glib when it has so many mem leaks?

> Perhaps you could define some threshold, say of the number of nodes in
> actual use versus the number of already malloced nodes available and
> free some when the number of spare nodes get too high. But again,
> doesn't modern Linux system malloc already do something like this? I
> vaguely remember seeing it when I was looking at the source code.

And now you're only talking Linux, other systems have different malloc
implementations (the one in FreeBSD has been heavily optimized for
example), plus it's not even system dependent. There are a lot of
malloc implementations floating around that may be faster than the
one that is available with one's system, or more suitable for the
task it is going to be used for.

the added advantage of having a "normal" view of one's memory consumption
should easily outweigh the speed advantage, if there is any at all.

Marc.

Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl