Re: [gtk-list] Re: how can I trust glib when it has somanymemleaks?

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Ionutz Borcoman wrote:

> Please detail one thing here: memory is alocated by my program using
> glib. You say UNIX will free  all the memory. Why isn't it freeing the
> memory allocated by glib also ? What is the use of ccmalloc if memory is
> freed by system when my program finishes ? Just to ensure that my
> program doesn't grow too much while running ?

When you link ccmalloc in your program, it will give you a list of
unallocated memory BEFORE termination of the program. When the program dies,
the OS reclaims all of its memory. That happens AFTER ccmalloc has shown you
its statistics. I thought it was obvious.

You're reiterating the same concepts over and over again... the Glib developers
are very talented guys, and their code is exceptionally clean and well
organized. I seem to remember reading that someone was using purify at one
point or another on Glib/Gtk+ to track memory leaks.

The only solution I can think about this problem is a function,
glib_shutdown(), which should be called before exiting which will deallocate
KNOWN memory chunks. In this way ccmalloc will only display real leaks...
Anyone interested in taking this up ?

Tristan
--
Tristan Tarrant                                         ttarrant@etnoteam.it

Linux - la scelta di una GNUova generazione
                                      Linux - the choice of a GNU generation