Re: Problem in viewport new behaviour

Owen Taylor wrote:

> > In 1.0, I used a viewport to contain a preview of the font (it contained
> > a gtk_pixmap). If the pixmap did not fit in the viewport, it just
> > displayed a part of it. Which was exactly what I wanted.
> > But in 1.2, the viewport resizes itself to display the whole pixmap,
> > which makes my main window resize for each font. And the window cannot
> > be resized smaller.
> >
> > Can I get the old behaviour somehow? I do not want to use scrollbars.
>
>   gtk_widget_set_usize (widget, xsize_i_want, ysize_i_want);
For each element clicked in a clist, a font preview is shown. Using this
method,
I would have (each time) to set the size of the viewport to the original
size of the window, which is clumsy and, worse, would prevent the user
from resizing it smaller.

> Since GtkLabel does clip its contents, there is probably
> no reason to use a Viewport at all.
But GtkLabel only displays text, and I am displaying a GtkPixmap.
What else can I do? A DrawingArea, and then take care of expose events?
Use an EventBox?

Quoting from the tutorial:
"A viewport widget allows you to place a larger widget within it such
that you can view a part of it at a time. It uses Adjustments to define
the area that is currently in view"
Is this no longer true in 1.2? How do you then get the behaviour?

Thanks for the support,
Roberto