Problem in viewport new behaviour

Hello!

I am porting an application (a font viewer,
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Foothills/1458) from GTK+ 1.0
to GTK+ 1.2.
In 1.0, I used a viewport to contain a preview of the font (it contained
a gtk_pixmap). If the pixmap did not fit in the viewport, it just
displayed a part of it. Which was exactly what I wanted.
But in 1.2, the viewport resizes itself to display the whole pixmap,
which makes my main window resize for each font. And the window cannot
be resized smaller.

Can I get the old behaviour somehow? I do not want to use scrollbars.

Thanks,
Roberto