Re: [gtk-list] Re: Displaying images from a camera as fast as possible?

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Steve Hosgood wrote:

> Anyway - the GTK part of all this is the displayer. I used a trivial GTK program
> to drive IMLIB to display the incoming JPEGs from the network. It will run at about
> 4 frames a second(*) on a Pentium 90 running GTK+ 1.0.6 and Imlib 1.4. I've not made
> any attempt to optimise it(**) - Imlib is probably *not* the right way to go for
> rendering what is effectively a motion-JPEG(***). I just couldn't be bothered to do
> it the hard way with libjpeg.
I think loading the jpegs is the problem.  May be you can gain an impression
of the speed of Imlibs rendering code when having a look at

   http://www.physik.uni-halle.de/~e2od5/debian/paul.html

Loaded images of any format are displayed subsequently.  If they are all of
the same size it is a rather fast display I think.

> (*) Four frames a second where frames are 128x96 pixels.
Loaded images can be displayed much faster!
> (**) Not even to allow for the fact that all frames are B/W.
I think this doesn't matter for Imlib.
> (***) Maybe it should though.
May be :)

Kind regards