gmodule problem on FreeBSD 3.1

Tried to compile GNOME 1.0 on my FreeBSD 3.1 (x86/ELF) box.  The compiles
went fine, but when I ran the panel, it complained about not being able to
load its png image files.  I traced the problem from imlib (1.9.4) to
gmodule (glib-1.2.0), which imlib was using to load the shared libraries it
now uses for different image types.  The gmodule test program (testgmodule)
didn't run 100%.  I found that an extra flag to ld (-export-dynamic) was
needed to make some applications of dlsym() work properly.

Now the question is how do I apply this to make the rest of GNOME work
(and anything else using gmodule)?  Is this a problem with gtk/glib, imlib,
or something else?  Perhaps libtool?   Libtool (1.2e) seems to know about
the -export-dynamic flag, but never seems to use it.

This question doesn't seem quite right for this list (my apologies), but
it looked like a good place to start.  Any info/clues/pointers would be
greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Joe

--