Help me out, please...gtk+-1.2.0 problsm

Surely someone knows what is going on with this problem?
I have posted a couple of times in hope of finding an
answer but so far there hasn't been a hint of an answer/
solution/clarification.

Someone PLEASE help me out here...

I have successfully compiled and installed both glib-1.2.0
and gtk+-1.2.0 yet I cannot run any gtk+-1.2.0-dependent
apps.  If I try to run the gnome-1.0 panel or ee or any
other gtk+-1.2x app, I get the same error message every time:

ee: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/local/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0: undefined symbol: XListInputDevices

It is ALWAYS a problem with XListInputDevices.  What is going
on here?  Why would I get a successful compile of both glib
and gtk yet then run into this problem?  More importantly,
how do I fix it?  I would like to work with my own compiled
version of both libs, if at all possible.

"If a man hasn't discovered something that
he will die for, he isn't fit to live."
	          --Martin Luther King, Jr

Padraig UiNiall