Re: [gtk-list] Upgrading to GTK 1.2: is safe ?

> Hi,
>
> I've started working with GTK+, and I found it easy and powerful.
> Currently I'm using 1.0.5 to build a couple of internal programs in my
> department, and everything goes OK.
> Yesterday I post a message with a question, and one of the answers was
> "try to upgrade to GTK 1.2".
>
> Now, I know that "if ain't broken, don't fix it". I'm happy with the
> results I'm getting with 1.0.5, but there's some new stuff in the new
> version that looks good, and GNOME uses 1.2, so I'm tempted to upgrade.
>
> My question is, will my previous applications work with the new version
> ? Specifically, will GIMP 1.0.x work with GTK 1.2 ? I'm not the only one
> using this machine, and some users will get very angry if GIMP stops
> working. I remember that GIMP didn't work with 1.1.x ( one of the
> reasons I didn't try 1.1.x ).

You'll need to keep copies of the 1.0.x shared libraries around (glib,
gdk, gtk, etc.).  If you install them by compiling tar balls, this is
easy.  If you use rpm, it can also be easy - there are 1.0 rpms that
include just the shared libraries - I think it's something like
gtk10.something.rpm

As long as you have both sets of shared libraries on your system, gimp
will continue to work and you can experiment with gtk 1.2 apps.

Dave