gtk 2.1 rpm problem

I am having a problem compiling anything on my system.  I recently
installed Gnome 1.0 from the rpms.  Everything worked great with Gnome but
now I can't compile anything(such as Gnome ICQ) because it looks for the
gtk-config file to verify 1.2.  It seems like the gtk-config wasn't updated
with the install of the gtk+2.1 rpm.  If i do a ldconfig -v|grep gtk+  it
shows both 1.2 and 1.0.6 installed!!!.   But clearly the gtk-config file
has not been updated sinced i installed redhat 5.2.  How can i compile
using the later version of gtk+ or is there anyway to get an updated
gtk-config file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated........

Phil