data entry validation

How does one go about verifying an entry field?  Say you have a numeric only field.  I looked at and tried to use the key_press_event but couldn't get that to work.  Then I tried using the "changed" event on the entry field, checking the last character for validity and, if invalid, truncating that character.  That works but leaves the cursor positioned one character beyond the new last character.  What is the way to do this?