Realizing a widget.

After reading a brief description of realizing a widget in my X
programming book I am still a little confuzzled.

The traditional method of building, say, a complex window would have:

    1)  Create a new window.
    2)  Add stuff to the window.
    3)  Show the window.

However I have seen code which adds a step:

    1.5)  Realize the window.

My question, how do you determine which widgets you want to realize and
which aren't necessary?  (It is my understanding that complex widgets
might benefit from realizing, but I'm not sure why or where you would draw
the line.)

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com