From: Havoc Pennington
To: 'gtk-list@redhat.com'
Sent: 2/26/99 10:59 PM
Subject: [gtk-list] Re: Resources?

[On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Rostedt, Steven wrote:
> I wrote:
> > And you can also get and set those things on the fly.
>
> This seems that you are creating a new
> widget with these settings.  Is there a way
> to update or findout the settings of an
> existing widget?

Re-read the above. :-)

(gtk_object_set()).]

Looks good to me!
But I'll take a look at how
to implement this for all widgets.

> Also, I propose to make the string constants
> defined macros.  So the compiler will flag
> them if you have a typo.

[You'll get a runtime error anyway, and there would be hundreds of macros
to type in and maintain and pollute the namespace. Not that anyone is
stopping you if you want to type them in and maintain them. :-)

Havoc]

Actually I would like to take this on.
I don't like run time errors since they
usually show up when I'm demo-ing :(
I'll look at the best way to go
about this in my (non)spare time.
I believe gtk will grow stronger and
needs to be better encapsulated.
MACRO definitions should not be
too hard to maintain once a format is
established.

Steve.

-PS. Are any of the developers for GTK
here at the Expo (San Jose)?
If so, I hope we could meet up.
I'll be at the GNOME session tomorrow (3/2/99)