drawing a patch panel

Somebody posted a question the other day about drawing wires for a
synthesizer patch panel (sorry I deleted the original).  A paper you
might want to look at is

Spratt, L., and A. Ambler, ``Using 3D Tubes to Solve the Intersecting
Line Representation Problem'' in Proceedings of the 1994 IEEE
Symposium on Visual Languages, pp 254-261.

That said....  I'm not sure you really want to do this.  I'd love a
software synthesizer with a patch panel-like interface (I still have
a PAiA analog synth in my dad's basement), but it isn't clear to me
that very realistic wires will be better for the user than simple
lines showing a schematic of the patches.  Let me know how this
project goes!
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002