Re: [gtk-list] Re: Croatian translations

On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 11:17:37AM -1300, Sergey I. Panov wrote:

> If you can figure out which standart font is colsest to standart ISO
> 8859-1 then make gtkrc.cr (I am not sure about lang. symbol, should it
> be hr or cr?)

hr

> and ask someone to make it part of Gtk+. Right now there
> are just gtkrc.ru, gtkrc.ko, and gtkrc.ja and they are installed in
> $(prefixs)/etc/gtk/ directory

I'm afraid this won't do. A real life example:
I have a Solaris host which doesn't have frame buffer, so it's console
is a text terminal. Hundreds of people work on it, and the only way
to use graphics is via X terminals. As far as I know, people use Linux,
Solaris, Ultrix, Digital Unix and NT based X terminals, but there could be
others. I have a font server, but a great number of those X terminals are
not under my control and I'm certain that some of them can't use font
server. There are X terminals with ISO 8859-2 fonts and there are those
without. I don't know if the same fonts are available on those that have
them. There's no way for me to find that out or influence the setting on
most of them.

X resources are the only solution I can think of for this kind of problem.
Or some kind of mumbo-jumbo on startup which emulates things one normaly
gets with X resources.

> File should look like that:
>
> style "default" {
>        fontset = "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*,\
>                   -biznet-aplos-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-2"

How are these two fonts used exactly? And what happens if I specify a
font which is not present on a particular X terminal?

--
 .-.   .-.    Life is a sexually transmitted disease.