gdk

OK, i'm slowly figuring out this gdk stuff. Scribble was somewhat useful,
and writing widgets from scratch also shed some serious light on what gdk
is about. So thanks for those suggestions. I'll post a bigger message
tomorrow with some (hmm.. many) questions and suggestions about those
docs.

For now I'm trying to figure out something simpler. I have the following
setup: A preview inside a frame. I have a number of these pairs inside a
window.

I draw a little something where the mouse clicks or moves. So I draw on
expose, press, and motion.
The two problems that I'm having are these (I'm suspecting that their
cause is that the preview gets redrawn over the gdk stuff):

1. Nothing is drawn when the window just comes up. If I simulate expose by
covering and subsequently uncovering the window the gdk stuff is there!
Why is this happening and how do I fix it?

2. On the first mouse click inside a preview I change the frame type to
ETCHED_IN to indicate that the preivew is "selected". This causes another
expose event to take place (why?) and the gdk_stuff disappers. The other,
similar, "previews-inside-frames" are deselected by setting the frame to
ETCHED_OUT which causes an expose event for them and erases stuff inside
them...

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Pavel