Re: [gtk-list] Fonts question/consistency

robert_gasch@peoplesoft.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've had some problems with consistent window layout using fonts,
> so I figured I'd bounce the problem across this list ...
>
> In my program, I do the following:
>      Gtk_Style Style;
>      GtkStyle  *style;
>
>      style = Style.gtkobj();
>      gdk_font_unref (style->font);
>      style->font = gdk_load_font ("-*-Helvetica-Medium-R-Normal-...");
>      d_menuBarHandle->push_style (Style);
>
> This all works quite fine, but on my machine at work the dialog layouts
> are slightly screwed up. I've traced the code and gdk_load_font ()
> seems to return a valid pointer (at least not a NULL pointer), so it seems
> that the font is being loaded. However, I could swear that it's still using
> a bigger (default) font as the menus look too big and all my widgets
> suddently don't fit into my dialogs all of sudden.
>
> Both machines are running 1024x768 display, using Gtk 1.2.3 and Gtk--
> 1.0.1.

Have you got the same fonts installed on both machines, with the directories
in the same order? On one machine the 75dpi fonts may be first in the font
path, and on the other 100dpi fonts may be first. So the sizes will be
different. Use 'xset q' to see the font path.

Damon