GTK 1.2 questions

A few days ago I sat down to right my first GTK (indeed, my first GUI
linux app). There are a few tasks I have been unable to figure out,
and would really appreciate some help.

1) I am making use of CList. By default it didn't seem to have any
	scrolling ability, so I embedded it in a scrolled window. This
	works pretty good, but has an undesirable side-effect. When
	scrolling vertically, the CList header scrolls as part of the
	list. Is there any way to keep the header frozen while the contents
	of the CList scroll?

2) When the application closes, I would like to store off the width of
	each of the columns of the CList so I can restore them on the next
	invocation. I see there is a call to set the width of a column, but
	none to get the width.

3) In a signal handler for a button, I enter a loop and do some
	possibily time consuming task. I want to provide some feedback to
	the user on the progress. I have tried using both a progress bar
	and a status bar, but I had the same problem with both. In the
	loop, I attempt to update the status, but the widget never updates
	itself, until the signal handler leaves. I tried calling
	gtk_widget_realize(), and all that did was make the loop run much
	slower. I assume I am starving the message pump or something? Is
	there a right way to do this?

That's a good start.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
rjf&