Re: [gtk-list] Re: Help needed.

Justin Zaun wrote:

> I have seen the RDP site, not very impressed by it. There are no examples
> of code, the descriptions are short, and things marked 80% done aren't
> started half the time.

I update the status page more frequently than I release new tarballs,
mainly so people don't start working on a section that someone else has
just started. I will build new tarballs this weekend, though.

> I'm thinking of a site that will have a picture of
> the widget with a description under it.  Following that, a list of all
> functions, what the do, what all the vars are for, and what it returns.

This is exactly what we are trying to do. We already have a pretty good
system for scanning header files and automatically generating templates
to fill in descriptions of functions and parameters.
And it produces quite good HTML with lots of cross-references.
(Gnome uses it as well, and its docs can even include cross-references
into the GTK+ docs.)

I realize the actual documentation is not that great yet.
But it is very difficult to get GTK+ experts to volunteer to write
documentation (and then to actually write it ;-).

If you feel you can write better documentation then write a few of
the RDP sections and show us how to do it! I think that would be
much better than starting from scratch.

Damon