Re: [gtk-list] Re: Call to g_print() causes Seg Fault

Marc Fearby wrote:

> I'm running libc6  2.1.1-1 and have no other problems.  I ran "dpkg -i
> --force-overwrite" on the following packages from this GNOME mirror site:
> ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/gnome/gnome-1.0/debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386
>
> libgtk-1.2_1.2.3-0.slink1_i386.deb
> libgtk-1.2-dev_1.2.3-0.slink1.i386.deb
> libglib1.2_1.2.3-0.slink1.i386.deb
> libglib1.2-dev_1.2.3-0.slink1.i386.deb
>
> A recompile of the above source works fine - but it still SEGV's when I run
> it.  I wouldn't have expected to have to do this on a Linux system, but do I
> have to completely un-install everything to do with GTK and re-install it?  It
> would seem rather drastic  :-(

You may have to re-install. Is it save to assume the above .deb files
were compiled with the glibc-2.1.1? If you compile them yourself then
they will match your system and the problem may go away. When ever I
upgrade these libs, I get the *.src.rpm files and build my own
*.i386.rpm files. That's just my preference though.

I seem to recall when RH6.0 came out, people complained about some
incompatibility with glibc-2.1.1 and StarOffice. That seemed to be
related to StarOffice making some undocumented calls to glibc-2.0.x
functions which disappeared with the new lib. I may be wrong here and it
may be an unrelated problem.

Ted Roth

--
Email: <troth@netmagic.net>  Web site: <http://www.netmagic.net/~troth>
"Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac who stays up