Re: Using autoconf with GTK

Erik Mouw <J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl> writes:

> > The configure script and makefiles are working with Linux but not with
> > FreeBSD because gtk-config is called gtk10-config, gtk11-config or
> > gtk12-config instead (under FreeBSD).  A look at
>
> This is in my opinion a "deliberately broken package". They'd better
> install the binary (because that's exactly what the gtk-config script is)
> in a separate --exec-prefix'ed directory and document that you should use
> the "--with-gtk-exec-prefix" flag to specify which version to use. For
> convenience, you could even set a softlink to the most used GTK version.
> Been there, done that (on IRIX 5.3 and 6.[2345]).

Well, actually, the right thing to do here, is to not
to use --with-gtk-exec-prefix, but just to point gtk.m4
to the right gtk-config.

Typically, that means:

 GTK_CONFIG=/opt/gtk-1.2/bin/gtk-config  ./configure

But if /opt/gtk-1.2/bin is in your path, actually:

 GTK_CONFIG=gtk12-config ./configure

will work, though I'd agree that is dubious practice,
especially if a symlink from gtk12-config to
gtk-config isn't created.

> > http://www.math.utah.edu/docs/info/autoconf_4.html suggests that the
> > AC_CHECK_PROGS macro could find which door it's behind. :)
>
> That doesn't help. AM_PATH_GTK just tries to find gtk-config, there's no
> way to specify that the config script has another name.

Or maybe there is ;-)

                                        Owen