Need rpm help getting started

I'm trying to get started being able to package a kernel driver
using rpm, but none of the documentation I've been able to
find (Max RPM, howto, etc.) seems to match the rpm (v3.0)
on my RH6 system. I type in the example from someplace
(I think it was Max RPM) into /etc/rpmrc:
    rpmdir: /tmp
    require_vendor: 1
    ...etc.
and for each line, rpm on startup indicates an error.

Could somebody please email me or post an example
/etc/rpmrc and .spec file so I can at least see an example?
I'm disappointed that in 400+ pages, the Max RPM doesn't
have an example that I can type in and see work, or at least
I wasn't able to find one. Did I miss it?

Also, when I do 'rpm --showrc' I see a ton of lines starting
with '-14:' and a few '-11=', what's that mean?

I assume the rest of the showrc lines are symbols that I can use?
Is there anything magic about the underscore(s) on the
prefix? Or are they just normal characters of the symbol?

TIA!
-Paul Kinzelman