Re: [gtk-list] Re: Serialization (was: Re: GTK questions)

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, David Orme wrote:

> 1) a way to register a GTK type that you see in a data stream even if it
> hasn't been used in the app yet.

This is a hard part...

> 2) a convention that all serializable objects must use GTK arguments for their
> properties.

That's how I'd implement it. Just query the list of object args, save the
current value of each; then reconstitute from the saved arg values. I
don't think you need a Serializable base class, just say that if it's not
exported as an arg, it won't be restored.

> 3) a way to construct a new object given its type name

This is easy if you can do 1) ...

I'm sure you'll end up hacking on Gtk internals a bit and requiring people
to use your new improved Gtk version to get this to work. But it's not
totally impossible to do, I wouldn't think.

Havoc