GTK install on Solaris

Anyone who can help - It would really be great.

My system specs (uname -a produces):
SunOS monsta 5.7 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250

Mr Problem:
I can't get GTK to install correctly on my Solaris system. I am trying to
install version 1.2.3 - I first run install on glib, this goes fine, but when I
try to install gtk, the configure script checks to see if the version of glib is
>=1.2.3. it thinks that it is not, but in fact, it is. I have $GLIB_CONFIG set
to the full path to glib-config. When I manually run $GLIB_CONFIG --version, it
prints out 1.2.3. However, when the configure script runs, it says:

checking for glib-config... /loc/lang/glib-1.2.3/bin/glib-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.3... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong
*** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
***
*** If you have a RedHat 5.0 system, you should remove the GTK package that
*** came with the system with the command
***
***    rpm --erase --nodeps gtk gtk-devel
configure: error:
*** GLIB 1.2.3 or better is required. The latest version of GLIB
*** is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.