pixmaps in gdk windows

I'm using gdk_pixmap_create_from_xpm_d which works, but produces a warning
that I'm creating a pixmap with a null window.  The window that I'm passing
it is a gtk window, not a gdk window like it wants, so I give it
mywindow->window pointing at a gdk_window element.  I've checked it, and it
is NULL.  After initializing, creating, and showing the window, the gdkwindow
element of it is still null.

Should I do something like mywindow->window = gdk_window_new(....) and if
so, what args should I use?  Would creating a gdk window underneath my
toplevel gtk window have any adverse side effects?

TIA

--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/